LFP lithium batteries: the right choice for Material-Handling Equipment
Why BSLBATT Uses LFP
BSLBATT Battery makes the most stringent demands on the safety and quality of all components to ensure top performance and a long cycle life for our lithium batteries. We have reached a strategic cooperation agreement with the most technologically advanced and reliable manufacturer of lithium cells in 2020 to guarantee our battery supply. We work with cells with different chemistry, including LFP, NMC, and others, but focus mostly on LFP technology as the optimal choice for material-handling applications.
Prismatic Cells are the Best Choice for Forklift Batteries
The differences in battery technology today allow customers to choose the best fit for their applications. Thus, lithium prismatic cells are the preferred technology for material handling equipment (MHE):
● Hundreds of Ah nominal capacity. The technology provides the best ratio of power and energy per volume unit. This is especially important in the high-capacity, high-current and relatively low voltage batteries used in MHE.
● Optimal utilization of available pack space. There are no space cavities between the cells. This allows maximum capacity for the battery pack, and still have enough room to accommodate for required extra weight, sealing, heater, internal charger or other battery upgrades within the battery compartment’s limited area.
● Contacts are strong enough for reliable bus-bars connection. This is a hugely important safety factor with high vibration operations, especially in cushion-tire type lift trucks.
● Flexible battery weight. LIB pack weight is not a limitation for most of the MHE in terms of its range per one charging (unlike passenger EVs). Forklifts operate mostly near their charging stations and their batteries are often engineered as a counterweight.
Capacity & Cycle Life
● All lithium chemistries have higher energy density compared to lead acid batteries. We use lithium-ion technology because of the dramatic increase in energy density over current lead acid battery solutions. We chose lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) because it has a specific energy of ~110 watt-hours per kilogram, compared to lead acids ~40 watt-hours per kilogram. What does this mean? Our batteries can be ~1/3 the weight for similar amp-hour ratings.
● Every battery cell chemistry is affected by the depth of discharge, and the deeper the discharge, the shorter the lifespan. Our lithium-ion can be discharged to 80% while still maintaining long cycle lifetimes (>3500 cycles). Lead acid batteries experience drastic reductions in cycle life. In fact, at an 80% depth of discharge, lead acid batteries only last 1000-1500 cycles, meaning our batteries last 3x longer.
Speed & Efficiency
Our lithium-ion batteries are fast. They can be fast-charged completely and can handle ultra-fast charging up to 1C (a full charge in 1 hour). Lead acid can only be fast-charged up to 80% after which the charging current drops dramatically. In addition, our battery packs maintain excellent performance under discharge rates as high as 3C continuous (full discharge in 1/3 an hour) or 5C pulsed. Lead acid experiences dramatic voltage sag and capacity reduction by comparison. In fact, the discharge profile of a lithium-ion battery shows how voltage and power remain almost constant throughout its discharge, unlike lead acid. This means that even when the battery runs low, performance stays high. There are also no memory issues, discharge and charge the battery at any point without consequence.
Safety & Reliability
There are a wide variety of chemistries to choose from when looking at advanced lithium batteries. We chose lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) because it has three advantages that make it the obvious choice for tough jobs.
1. It is thermally stable up to very high temperatures, meaning no thermal runaway. The batteries can be used safely in ambient temperatures up to 55°C (131°F). Operating lead acid batteries at this temperature reduces their cycle life by a whopping 80%.
2. Lithium iron phosphate provides a remarkably long cycle life, with competing chemistries being either too expensive (lithium titanate), or too unstable (lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide).
3. Lithium iron phosphate provides more power and more energy density than lead acid and many other lithium chemistries, so it’s perfect for demanding jobs, and efficient energy storage solutions.
Not all lithium batteries are created equal. There are several factors that go into creating a battery that is high-performing, long-lasting, and most importantly, safe. One major factor to consider is UL certification, or at a minimum making sure the battery is designed to UL standards.
Which One is Right For You?
There’s much to consider when evaluating power sources. Are you using the most efficient source for your fleet? Are regulations pressuring you to re-evaluate? With so many new technologies, is it time to modernize? The following tool can provide some insight.
Operations In Cold Storage and Freezers
It’s time to transform your fleet with longer-lasting, faster charging. BSLBATT Lithium Forklift Batteries increase the velocity of your distribution business with your existing fleet of MH equipment. When compared to traditional lead-acid batteries, lithium batteries charge faster, last longer and deliver more usable energy with each discharge. With batteries charging faster and lasting longer, there is less downtime. Similarly, batteries don’t need to be swapped, watered, or equalized at room temperature, which streamlines operations and increases efficiency at cold storage facilities.
Get The Most Out Of Your Fleet With Lithium-Ion Technology
The right power source underpins everything you do. BSLBATT has the resources and intelligence to not only identify it but provide it as well. Having access to expert insight and proven experience has become a need, not a luxury. BSLBATT Battery is that essential resource – a team of industry experts, all committed to partnering with you to pinpoint the Lithium forklift battery that can help address your specific materials-handling needs.